From Faraaz Sareshwala <fsareshw...@quantcast.com>
Subject Trying to write when at cassandra capacity
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 00:58:09 GMT
What does cassandra do when it is at its data capacity (disk drives and memtable
is full) and writes continue to pour in? My intuition says that cassandra won't
be able to handle the new writes (they will either get silently dropped or
cassandra will hit an OOM -- does anyone know which one?). The sstables on disk
won't magically disappear so cassandra won't be able to service the write
requests.

Has anyone run into this situation before and does anyone know for sure what
happens? I wanted to write in to confirm whether my intuition was correct or
not.

Faraaz