From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: temporarily running a cassandra side by side in production
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2013 08:20:33 GMT
>  We are starting to think we are going to try to run a side by side cassandra instance
in production while we map/reduce from one cassandra into the new instance.
What do you mean by "side-by-side" ?

> Can I assume a cassandra instance will not only bind to the new ports when I change these
values but will talk to the other cassandra nodes on those same ports as well such that this
cassandra instance is completely independent of my other cassandra instance?
Not sure what you mean, but all nodes in the same cluster must be configured with the same
storage port.
The best way to ensure clusters to not interfere with each other is to have different seed
lists and different cluster names.

> Are there other gotchas that I have to be aware of?
I'm not sure what you are attempting to do.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 11/07/2013, at 11:37 AM, "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:

> We have a 12 node production cluster and a 4 node QA cluster.  We are starting to think
we are going to try to run a side by side cassandra instance in production while we map/reduce
from one cassandra into the new instance.  We are intending to do something like this

> Modify all ports in cassandra.yaml and the jmx port in cassandra-env.sh, 7000, 7001,
9160, 9042, and cassandra-env 7199.

> Can I assume a cassandra instance will not only bind to the new ports when I change these
values but will talk to the other cassandra nodes on those same ports as well such that this
cassandra instance is completely independent of my other cassandra instance?

> Are there other gotchas that I have to be aware of?
>
> (we are refactoring our model into a new faster model that we tested in QA with live
data as well as moving randompartitioner to murmur)