From Tony Anecito <adanec...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra intermittant with query in 1.2.5...
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 21:18:45 GMT
Thanks Robert I will do that. I already filled out a question with the initial info via the
forum seeing if I was doing something wrong. I did see a reference to the issue but it was
not repeatable. I am thinking there is a very serious bug that would worry all Cassandra
users if they read this and repeated it. I can see how this got past all the automated testing.

Regards,
Tony Anecito
JavaOne 2010 Dukes Award Winner
Outstanding Developer and Future of Java Award Winner
Founder/President
MyUniPortal
http://www.myuniportal.com

From: Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org; Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, July 8, 2013 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Cassandra intermittant with query in 1.2.5...

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com> wrote:

I better understand the issue now with secondary index query and Cassadra 1.2.5. not returnng
rows.

>I did some more testng of the issue mentioned below and discovered a very repeatable sequence
and it is as follows:

>1. Starting state query running with caching off for a Column Family with the query using
the secondary index for te WHERE clause.
>2, Set Column Family caching to ALL using Cassandra-CLI and update CQL. Cassandra-cli
Describe shows column family caching set to ALL
>3. Rerun query and it works.
>4. Restart Cassandra and run query and no rows returned. Cassandra-cli Describe shows
column family caching set to ALL
>5. Set Column Family caching to NONE using Cassandra-cli and update CQL. Rerun query and
no rows returned. Cassandra-cli Describe for column family shows caching set to NONE.
>6. Restart Cassandra. Rerun query and it is working again. We are now back to the starting
state.

>I hope someone can tell me why Cassandra is doing this. Is there someing I need to do
so that when I set caching to ALL for my column table and I stop-start Cassandra the query
still works?

If I were you, I would file a CASSANDRA JIRA at http://issues.apache.org with the above reproduction
path.

There have been others who have reported similarly missing data with secondary indexes in
1.2 era, if you have discovered the repro path they will no doubt appreciate you filing this
JIRA. :D

=Rob