From Tony Anecito <adanec...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to build indexes?
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 13:42:42 GMT
Thanks,
Apparently for 1.2.5 it did not build automatically. Diescribe shows index[] which indicates
it was not built.

I will try the nodetool command. I dd not see it in the hep list though.

Best Regards,
-Tony

From: Sylvain Lebresne <sylvain@datastax.com>
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>; Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com>

Sent: Friday, July 5, 2013 3:12 AM
Subject: Re: How to build indexes?

Creating a secondary index will trigger the build of that index automatically.

However, that built is done asynchronously and can take some time if you have lots of existing
data to index. To know when that building is done, you can check the nodes log for an entry
looking like "Index build of <index_name> complete" (you can also check the IndexInfo
system table (SELECT * FROM system."IndexInfo", the quotes matter for backward compatibility
reason), a row for the new index will appear in that table when it's built).

You can also force a rebuild however if you want using nodetool rebuild_index.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi All,

>I updated a table with a secondary index. I discovered using CLI describe that the index
was not built.

>How do I build an index after I have altered an existing table with data?
>
>I looked at nodetool and cli and saw no command that had the word build index associated
with it. And most of the postings I have found so far cover creating an index but not building
it or verifying the index was built.