Manual compaction for LCS doesn't really do much.  It certainly doesn't compact all those little files into bigger files.  What makes you think that compactions are not occurring?

-Bryan

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:
> We are running a test system with Leveled compaction on Cassandra-1.2.4.
> While doing an initial load of the data one of the nodes ran out of file
> descriptors and since then it hasn't been automatically compacting.

You have (at least) two options :

1) increase file descriptors available to Cassandra with ulimit, if possible
2) increase the size of your sstables with levelled compaction, such
that you have fewer of them

Oops, I wasn't clear enough.

I have increased the number of file descriptors and no longer have a file descriptor issue. However the node still doesn't compact automatically. If I run a 'nodetool compact' it will do a small amount of compaction and then stop. The Column Family is using LCS

Any ideas on this - compaction is still not automatically running for one of my nodes

thanks

cheers

=Rob

--

Franc Carter | Systems architect | Sirca Ltd

franc.carter@sirca.org.au | www.sirca.org.au

Tel: +61 2 8355 2514

Level 4, 55 Harrington St, The Rocks NSW 2000

PO Box H58, Australia Square, Sydney NSW 1215