Hi,

We are trialling Cassandra-1.2(.4) with Leveled compaction as it looks like it may be a win for us.

The first step of testing was to push a fairly large slab of data into the Column Family - we did this much faster (> x100) than we would in a production environment. This has left the Column Family with about 140,000 files in the Column Family directory which seems way too high. On two of the nodes the CompactionStats show 2 outstanding tasks and on a third node there are over 13,000 outstanding tasks. However from looking at the log activity it looks like compaction has finished on all nodes.

Is this number of files expected/normal ?

cheers

--

Franc Carter | Systems architect | Sirca Ltd

franc.carter@sirca.org.au | www.sirca.org.au

Tel: +61 2 8355 2514

Level 4, 55 Harrington St, The Rocks NSW 2000

PO Box H58, Australia Square, Sydney NSW 1215