From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Compaction not running
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:27:00 GMT
> nodetool compactionstats, gives
>
>     pending tasks: 13120
If there are no errors in the log, I would say this is a bug.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 19/06/2013, at 11:41 AM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Bryan Talbot <btalbot@aeriagames.com> wrote:
> Manual compaction for LCS doesn't really do much.  It certainly doesn't compact all those
little files into bigger files.  What makes you think that compactions are not occurring?

> Yeah, that's what I thought, however:-
>
> nodetool compactionstats, gives
>
>     pending tasks: 13120
>    Active compaction remaining time :        n/a
>
> when I run nodetool compact in a loop the pending tasks goes down gradually.
>
> This node also has vastly higher latencies (x10) than the other nodes. I saw this with
a previous CF than I 'manually compacted', and when the pending tasks reached low numbers
(stuck on 9) then latencies were back to low milliseconds

> cheers
>
> -Bryan
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:
> > We are running a test system with Leveled compaction on Cassandra-1.2.4.
> > While doing an initial load of the data one of the nodes ran out of file
> > descriptors and since then it hasn't been automatically compacting.
>
> You have (at least) two options :
>
> 1) increase file descriptors available to Cassandra with ulimit, if possible
> 2) increase the size of your sstables with levelled compaction, such
> that you have fewer of them
>
> Oops, I wasn't clear enough.
>
> I have increased the number of file descriptors and no longer have a file descriptor
issue. However the node still doesn't compact automatically. If I run a 'nodetool compact'
it will do a small amount of compaction and then stop. The Column Family is using LCS