From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: Updated sstable size for LCS, ran upgradesstables, file sizes didn't change
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:03:25 GMT
We would be very very interested in your results.  We currently run 10M but have heard of 256M
sizes as well.

Please let us know what you find out.
Thanks,
Dean

From: Andrew Bialecki <andrew.bialecki@gmail.com<mailto:andrew.bialecki@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, June 21, 2013 5:40 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Updated sstable size for LCS, ran upgradesstables, file sizes didn't change

We're potentially considering increasing the size of our sstables for some column families
from 10MB to something larger.

In test, we've been trying to verify that the sstable file sizes change and then doing a bit
of benchmarking. However when we run alter the column family and then run "nodetool upgradesstables
-a keyspace columnfamily," the files in the data directory have been re-written, but the file
sizes are the same.

Is this the expected behavior? If not, what's the right way to upgrade them. If this is expected,
how can we benchmark the read/write performance with varying sstable sizes.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew