From Theo Hultberg <t...@iconara.net>
Subject Why so many vnodes?
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:47:21 GMT
Hi,

The default number of vnodes is 256, is there any significance in this
number? Since Cassandra's vnodes don't work like for example Riak's, where
there is a fixed number of vnodes distributed evenly over the nodes, why so
many? Even with a moderately sized cluster you get thousands of slices.
Does this matter? If your cluster grows to over thirty machines and you
start looking at ten thousand slices, would that be a problem? I guess trat
traversing a list of a thousand or ten thousand slices to find where a
token lives isn't a huge problem, but are there any other up or downsides
to having a small or large number of vnodes per node?

I understand the benefits for splitting up the ring into pieces, for
example to be able to stream data from more nodes when bootstrapping a new
one, but that works even if each node only has say 32 vnodes (unless your
cluster is truly huge).

yours,
Theo