From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Data not fully replicated with 2 nodes and replication factor 2
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:12:17 GMT
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Wei Zhu <wz1975@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was not aware of that. So we can avoid repair if there is no hardware
> failure...I found a blog:
>
> http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/modern-hinted-handoff

Well... yes but no.

First, I do not believe that hardware failure is required, I believe
that software failure can create a case where you have lost a hint.
But presuming that you do not get an exception back at the client side
and neither your software or hardware has failed/crashed, hints
"should" be reliable.

However, hinted handoff is not "officially" considered for consistency
purposes, it is considered an optimization for repair.

@JamesLee : If you have seen your hints be 100% delivered on all nodes
and are still missing data, file a JIRA ticket with :

1) the environment in which you are experiencing this issue (cassandra
ver, os ver, jvm version)
2) an explanation of how you generated the write workload that
manifests this behavior
3) what you expect to see versus what you actually see

Thanks!

=Rob