From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: changing ips on node replacement
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 19:50:37 GMT
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:
>> I seem to remember problems with ghost nodes, etc. and I seem to remember if you
are replacing a node and you don’t use the same ip, this can cause issues.  Is this correct?

> If you don't use replace_token, this won't work at all. You'll get
> "attempt to bootstrap node into range of live node" type error,
> because the old ip will still own the token.

As a followup, this is actually incorrect.

If you :

1) have dead (or live) node A with token X
2) start node B with token X and auto_bootstrap=false
3) node B will take over responsibility for token X from node A
without bootstrapping, due to having a higher generation number

This is a pretty good reason to make sure that you don't :

a) have auto_bootstrap=false in your config file
b) have cassandra set to auto start

=Rob