From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Updated sstable size for LCS, ran upgradesstables, file sizes didn't change
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 23:51:29 GMT
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Andrew Bialecki
<andrew.bialecki@gmail.com> wrote:
> However when we run alter the column
> family and then run "nodetool upgradesstables -a keyspace columnfamily," the
> files in the data directory have been re-written, but the file sizes are the
> same.
>
> Is this the expected behavior? If not, what's the right way to upgrade them.
> If this is expected, how can we benchmark the read/write performance with
> varying sstable sizes.

It is expected, upgradesstables/scrub/clean compactions work on a
single sstable at a time, they are not capable of combining or
splitting them.

In theory you could probably :

1) start out with the largest size you want to test
2) stop your node
3) use sstable_split [1] to split sstables
4) start node, test
5) repeat 2-4

I am not sure if there is anything about level compaction which makes
this infeasible.

=Rob
[1] https://github.com/pcmanus/cassandra/tree/sstable_split