From S C <as...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: Cassandra periodically stops responding to write requests under load
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:09:24 GMT
What version of Cassandra are you using? Did you look if Cassandra is under going GC?
-SC
From: James.Lee@metaswitch.com
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Cassandra periodically stops responding to write requests under load
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:19:57 +0000

Hello,

I have been doing some scripted load testing of Cassandra as part of determining what hardware
to deploy Cassandra on for the particular load profile our application will generate.  I’m
seeing generally good performance, but with periods
 where the Cassandra node entirely stops responding to write requests for several seconds
at a time.  I don’t have much experience of Cassandra performance tuning, and would very
much appreciate some pointers on what I can do to improve matters.

__Load profile__

The load profile I’ve tested is the following:
-- A single Cassandra node
-- 40 keyspaces
-- Each keyspace has 2 small column families with a handful of rows, and 1 large column family
with approx 25,000 rows.  The rows are <1k in size.

The perf test then has 20 instances connect to the server (they use pycassa), doing the following
operation:
-- Read a random row from the large column family on a random one of the keyspaces
-- Write that row into a random one of the other keyspaces (the test is arranged so that this
is likely to be a non-existing row in the new keyspace)

I run the test so that 500 read/write cycles are generated per second (total across all instance).
 The Cassandra server keeps up fine with this rate, and is using only a small fraction of
the CPU/memory available.  Every several minutes
 though, there is a several-second period during which no writes are serviced.  This seems
to coincide with memtables being flushed to disk.

Note that this read/write rate is an order of magnitude lower than the maximum load this server
is able to cope with if pushed as hard as possible by the clients.

__Tuning attempted__

I've tried making several changes to see if any of them improved matters:
-- I've tried putting the commitlog directory on a separate drive.  That didn't make any appreciable
difference.
-- I've used a RAID array for the data directory to improve write performance.  This significantly
reduces the length of the slow period (from ~10s to ~2s), but doesn't eliminate it.  I've
tried RAID10 and RAID0 using varying number
 of drives, but there doesn't seem to be a significant difference between the two.
-- I've used multiple drives for the data directory, symlinking the directories for different
keyspaces to different drives.  That didn't improve things significantly compared to using
a single drive.
-- Reducing the commitlog segment interval to force more frequent smaller flushes doesn't
make any difference.
-- Increasing the memtable flush queue size doesn't make any difference.
-- Disabling compaction doesn't help either.

Thanks,
James Lee