From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Compaction not running
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:16:01 GMT
> Do you think it's worth posting an issue, or not enough traceable evidence ?
If you can reproduce it then certainly file a bug.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 20/06/2013, at 9:41 PM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
>> nodetool compactionstats, gives
>>
>>     pending tasks: 13120
> If there are no errors in the log, I would say this is a bug.
>
> This happened after the node ran out of file descriptors, so an edge case wouldn't surprise
me.

> I've rebuilt the node (blown the data way and am running a nodetool rebuild). Do you
think it's worth posting an issue, or not enough traceable evidence ?

> cheers
>

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 19/06/2013, at 11:41 AM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Bryan Talbot <btalbot@aeriagames.com> wrote:
>> Manual compaction for LCS doesn't really do much.  It certainly doesn't compact all
those little files into bigger files.  What makes you think that compactions are not occurring?

>> Yeah, that's what I thought, however:-
>>
>> nodetool compactionstats, gives
>>
>>     pending tasks: 13120
>>    Active compaction remaining time :        n/a
>>
>> when I run nodetool compact in a loop the pending tasks goes down gradually.
>>
>> This node also has vastly higher latencies (x10) than the other nodes. I saw this
with a previous CF than I 'manually compacted', and when the pending tasks reached low numbers
(stuck on 9) then latencies were back to low milliseconds

>> cheers
>>
>> -Bryan
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au>
wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:
>> > We are running a test system with Leveled compaction on Cassandra-1.2.4.
>> > While doing an initial load of the data one of the nodes ran out of file
>> > descriptors and since then it hasn't been automatically compacting.
>>
>> You have (at least) two options :
>>
>> 1) increase file descriptors available to Cassandra with ulimit, if possible
>> 2) increase the size of your sstables with levelled compaction, such
>> that you have fewer of them
>>
>> Oops, I wasn't clear enough.
>>
>> I have increased the number of file descriptors and no longer have a file descriptor
issue. However the node still doesn't compact automatically. If I run a 'nodetool compact'
it will do a small amount of compaction and then stop. The Column Family is using LCS