From Nimi Wariboko Jr <nimiwaribo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data Loss/Missing With Cassandra
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:11:37 GMT
Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

1.) Seeing as how I only had a single node cluster previously, if I just `nodetool move 0`
the original node that should be an easy fix then?

2.) Is my data not marked as deleted? If I use sstableloader to restream the data am I just
reorganizing my entire cluster or is there some logic I must use to mark deleted columns/rows
as undeleted?

On Monday, June 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Edward Capriolo wrote:

> To recover it would be to dump everything then re-insert everything.
>
> Another option would be to return all nodes to whatever tokens they were before the switches,
since the old data is still there.

> Either way both recovery options are long,painful, and a good amount of manual steps.
I would not want to do either one.

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Nimi Wariboko Jr <nimiwaribokoj@gmail.com (mailto:nimiwaribokoj@gmail.com)>
wrote:
> > How can I recover that data? Can I assume they are still in the sstables? Would
doing a sstable2json then reading and reinserting be an optimal solution?

> > On Monday, June 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Tyler Hobbs wrote:

caused the data loss. Wish I had been more careful.

was effected? That would be helpful in figuring out what data was lost.

is now completely gone as well, right?
> > > Cassandra doesn't remove data automatically (partially to help prevent data
loss in cases like this).  The original node will still have the full set of data unless you
have run a cleanup operation (nodetool cleanup) on it.