From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Performance Difference between Cassandra version
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:09:57 GMT
> I am trying to see whether there will be any performance difference between Cassandra
1.0.8 vs Cassandra 1.2.2 for reading the data mainly?
1.0 has key and row caches defined per CF, 1.1 has global ones which are better utilised and
easier to manage.
1.2 moves bloom filters and compression meta off heap which reduces GC, which will help.
Things normally get faster.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 20/06/2013, at 11:24 AM, Franc Carter <franc.carter@sirca.org.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Raihan Jamal <jamalraihan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to see whether there will be any performance difference between Cassandra
1.0.8 vs Cassandra 1.2.2 for reading the data mainly?

> Has anyone seen any major performance difference?
>
> We are part way through a performance comparison between 1.0.9 with Size Tiered Compaction
and 1.2.4 with Leveled Compaction - for our use case it looks like a significant performance
improvement on the read side.  We are finding compaction lags when we do very large bulk loads,
but for us this is an initialisation task and that's a reasonable trade-off