From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Unit Testing Cassandra
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:13:57 GMT
> > 2) Second (in which I am more interested in) is for performance (stress/load) testing.

Sometimes you can get cassandra-stress (shipped in the bin distro) to approximate the expected
work load. It's then pretty easy to benchmark and tests you configuration changes.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 20/06/2013, at 2:25 PM, Shahab Yunus <shahab.yunus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Edward, Ben and Dean for the pointers. Yes, I am using Java and these sounds promising
for unit testing, at least.

> Regards,
> Shahab
>

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:
> You really do not need much in java you can use the embedded server. Hector wrap a simple
class around thiscalled  EmbeddedServerHelper

> On Wednesday, June 19, 2013, Ben Boule <Ben_Boule@rapid7.com> wrote:
> > Hi Shabab,
> >
> > Cassandra-Unit has been helpful for us for running unit tests without requiring
a real cassandra instance to be running.   We only use this to test our "DAO" code which interacts
with the Cassandra client.  It basically starts up an embedded instance of cassandra and fools
your client/driver into using it.  It uses a non-standard port and you just need to make sure
you can set the port as a parameter into your client code.

> > https://github.com/jsevellec/cassandra-unit
> >
> > One important thing is to either clear out the keyspace in between tests or carefully
separate your data so different tests don't collide with each other in the embedded database.

> > Setup/tear down time is pretty reasonable.
> >
> > Ben
> > ________________________________

clear enough. Yes, I have different 2 requests/questions.
> > 1) One is for the unit testing.
> > 2) Second (in which I am more interested in) is for performance (stress/load) testing.
Let us keep integration aside for now.
> > I do see some stuff out there but wanted to know recommendations from the community
given their experience.
> > Regards,
> > Shahab
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Unit testing means testing in isolation the smallest part.
> >> Unit tests should not take more than a few milliseconds to set up and verify
their assertions.
> >> As such, if your code is not factored well for testing, you would typically
use mocking (either by hand, or with mocking libraries) to mock out the bits not under test.
> >> Extensive use of mocks is usually a smell of code that is not well designed
*for testing*
> >> If you intend to test components integrated together... That is integration
testing.
> >> If you intend to test performance of the whole or significant parts of the whole...
That is performance testing.
> >> When searching for the above, you will not get much luck if you are looking
for them in the context of "unit testing" as those things are *outside the scope of unit testing"

and monitoring perspective. I am using 1.2.

> >> --
> >> Sent from my phone
> >
> > This electronic message contains information which may be confidential or privileged.
The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are
not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission
in error, please notify us by e-mail at (postmaster@rapid7.com) immediately.