From Radim Kolar <...@filez.com>
Subject Re: opscentrer is spying
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:49:34 GMT

> OpsCenter collects anonymous usage data and reports it back to
> DataStax. For example, number of nodes, keyspaces, column families,
> etc. Stat reporting isn't required to run OpsCenter however. To turn
> this feature off, see the docs here (stat_reporter):
You never informed user that installing your crap will get him spyed
upon. Thats very different from Firefox which asks for permission before
sending data back and presents both choices to user.
  1. You do not have documented what information and how often you are
going to spy
  2. how you are processing this information, which is required by EU law.
  3. In your crap EULA you demand right to present any user of your
spyware to public for PR purposes.
  4. You guys tried to add spyware into apache cassandra and got huge
negative response on cassandra-dev. You will simply never learn lesson.

I dont trust Datastax:
1 .I am responsible for data security because we have sensitive data in
database. Because you are spying by default, we can not trust that due
to our admin mistake your spyware will not be left enabled.
2. We can not trust you that configuring that particual option really
turns spying off. There might be bug in code or option can change name
3. We do not like to be spyed by software holding sensitive data
4. Spying is not anonymous - you will get IP address of reporter - you
will see what company is using your product and from keyspace/CF names
you can easily guess for what it is beeing used. If you do not spy
keyspace/CF names yet you can do it in future since you have no clear
privacy "what we spy" policy.

I improved cassandra nagios plugin to fit our needs and give red stop
sign to sw made by datastax.