From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: vnodes ready for production ?
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:04:47 GMT
> Even more if we could automate some up-scale thanks to AWS alarms, It would be awesome.
I saw a demo for Priam (https://github.com/Netflix/Priam) doing that at netflix in March,
not sure if it's public yet.

> Are the vnodes feature and the tokens =>vnodes transition safe enough to go live with
vnodes ?
There have been some issues, search the user list for shuffle and as always test.

> Any advice about vnodes ?

They are in use out there. It's a sizable change so it would be good idea to build a test
system for running shuffle and testing your application. There have been some issues with
repair and range scans (including hadoop integration.)

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 18/06/2013, at 7:04 PM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any insights on vnodes, one month after my original post ?
>

> 2013/5/16 Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com>
> Hi,
>
> Adding vnodes is a big improvement to Cassandra, specifically because we have a fluctuating
load on our Cassandra depending on the week, and it is quite annoying to add some nodes for
one week or two, move tokens and then having to remove them and then move tokens again. Even
more if we could automate some up-scale thanks to AWS alarms, It would be awesome.

> We don't use vnodes yet because Opscenter did not support this feature and because we
need to have a reliable production. Now Opscenter handles vnodes.