From Tony Anecito <adanec...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra driver performance question...
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:34:24 GMT
Hi Jabbar,

I am using JDBC driver because almost no examples exist about what you mention. Even most
of the JDBC examples I find do not work because they are incomplete or out of date. If you
have a good reference about what you mentioned I can try it.

As I menioned I got selects to work now I am trying to get inserts to work via JDBC. Running
into issues there also but I will work at it till I get them to work.

Regards,
-Tony

From: Jabbar Azam <ajazam@gmail.com>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Cc: Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 3:26 AM
Subject: Re: Cassandra driver performance question...

Hello tony,
I couldnt reply earlier because I've been decorating over the weekend so have been a bit busy.
Let me know what's happens.
Out of couriosity why are you using and not a cql3 native driver?
Thanks
Jabbar Azam
On 24 Jun 2013 00:32, "Tony Anecito" <adanecito@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Jabbar,

> I was able to get the performance issue resolved by reusing the connection object. It
will be interesting to see what happens when I use a connection pool from a app server.

>I still think it would be a good idea to have a minimal mode for metadata. It is rare
I use metadata.

>Regards,
>-Tony

developers regarding metadata caching. Seems the metadata caching was moved from the connection
object to the preparedStatement object. So I am wondering if the time difference I am seeing
on the second preparedStatement object is because of the Metadata is cached then.

>So my question is how to test this theory? Is there a way to stop the metadata from coming
accross from Cassandra? A 20x performance improvement would be nice to have.

>Thanks,
>-Tony

slow like 121msecs the first time I ran it and second time I ran it it was 40msecs versus
jdbc call of 38msecs to start with unless I run it twice also and get 1.5-2.5msecs for executeQuery
the second time the preparedStatement is called.

>I ran describe from cli for the table and it said caching is "ALL" which is correct.
>
>A real mystery and I need to understand better what is going on.
>
>Regards,
>-Tony

cache. The second query gets the data from the row cache and or the filesystem cache so it'll
be faster.

>If you want to make it consistently faster having a key cache will definitely help. The
following advice from Aaron Morton will also help
>"You can also see what it looks like from the server side.

nodetool proxyhistograms
will show you full request latency recorded by the coordinator.
nodetool cfhistograms will
show you the local read latency, this is just the time it takes
to read data on a replica
and does not include network or wait times.

If the proxyhistograms is showing most requests
running faster than your app says it's your
app."

>http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-user/201301.mbox/%3CE3741956-C47C-4B43-AD99-DAD8AFC3AE7C@thelastpickle.com%3E
>

>Thanks
>
>Jabbar Azam
>

>On 21 June 2013 21:29, Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Hi All,
>>I am using jdbc driver and noticed that if I run the same query twice the second time
it is much faster.
>>I setup the row cache and column family cache and it not seem to make a difference.
>>

>>I am wondering how to setup cassandra such that the first query is always as fast
as the second one. The second one was 1.8msec and the first 28msec for the same exact paremeters.
I am using preparestatement.