From Emalayan Vairavanathan <svemala...@yahoo.com>
Subject [Cassandra] Expanding a Cassandra cluster
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:00:00 GMT
Hi All,

Datastax manual suggests that during a Cassandra cluster expansion, an administrator has to
run nodetool cleanup on each of the previously existing Cassandra nodes to remove the keys
that are no longer belonging to those nodes. Further the manual says that thenodetool cleanup
 task should be run sequentially on the existing Cassandra nodes.

Reference: http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.2/operations/add_replace_nodes#adding-capacity

Here is my problem: I have a very large Cassandra cluster with 100s of nodes and running nodetool
cleanup sequentially will take a long time to finish.

 Questions: a) So can someone tell me  about the implications of running the nodetool cleanup
concurrently on the entire cluster ?
                   b) Will Cassandra automatically take care of removing obsolete
keys in future ?

Thank you
Emalayan