From Aiman Parvaiz <ai...@grapheffect.com>
Subject Populating seeds dynamically
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:59:23 GMT
Hi all
I am using puppet to push cassandra.yaml file which has seeds node hardcoded, going forward
I don't want to hard code the seed nodes and I plan to maintain a list of seed nodes. Since
I have a cluster in place I would populate this list for now to start with and next time when
I add a node this list would be referred and three nodes would be read and populated as seeds
in the yaml file.

This implementation can lead to different nodes running different seeds I know that this is
not a ideal situation but I believe that if a node has been in the ring for long enough(say
10 minutes, it knows about other nodes in the ring) then it  can be used as a seed node.

What do you guys think of populating seeds this way and also please throw some light on why
running different seeds is not a best practice(assuming that all potential seed candidates
have been in ring long enough)

Thanks