It's in use in production where I work, however it has not received much traction elsewhere as far as I know.  You can get it here:
https://github.com/minaguib/libcassandra/tree/kickstart-libcassie-0.7

It has not been updated for a while (for example no CQL support, no pooling support).  I've been waiting for either the thrift C-glibc interface to mature, or the thriftless-CQL-binary protocol to mature, before putting effort into updating/rewriting it.  It might however satisfy your needs with its current functionality.

On 2013-05-17, at 10:42 AM, Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis <xekoukou@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, new here, What are my options in using cassandra from a program written in c?

A)
Thrift has no documentation, so it will take me time to understand.
Thrift also doesnt have a balancing pool, asking different nodes every time, which is a big problem.

B)
Should I use the hector (java) client and then send the data to my program with my own protocol?
Seems a lot of unnecessary work.

Any other suggestions?

--

Sincerely yours,