Hello All:

I had Cassandra 1.2.4 running up until yesterday, then after I took an Ubuntu update (may be related or may not), I suddenly wasn't able to connect any more.

The error was related to lack of memory and suggested a modification to its config, I kept increasing the memory (I have 8 Gb), but Cassandra would not start.
I read a post that it might be OpenJava related and I added Oracle Java 1.7.0_21, made it default, but the issue persisted.

I have then decided to remove the Cassandra community package and get the DataStax one. Alas, it failed to install citing unmet dependency 1.2.4 C* package. I could not figure how I get it since the only valid option was deb12.

I thus opted to re-get the one from Apache, made it installed no problem, but to my dismay C* would NOT start!

I can see the error when running sudo cassandra -f is

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't figure out log4j configuration: log4j-server.properties
    at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.initLog4j(CassandraDaemon.java:82)
    at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.<clinit>(CassandraDaemon.java:58)

The posts I found tell me to modify the
log4j-server.properties file.
But it is not present on my machine, in fact the directory

/etc/cassandra is empty.

I am out of ideas. What is wrong?

Regards,

Arthur