Assuming you are using the SimpleStrategy or the NetworkTopologyStrategy and one rack per DC. If you backed up every 2nd node you would get one copy *IF* all nodes were consistent on disk. That can be a reasonably large if that you need to monitor.

It's easier to back up all the nodes it will also make it easier to restore the cluster.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand