1.  Is compaction supposed to go off during a bootstrapping node?
When a new file is received during streaming it is added to the list of SSTables for the CF through the same process as a SSTable flush. Once the SStable count gets high enough compaction will do it's thing.

2.  I seem to recall a bootstrap node setting in cassandra.yaml but that was not one of the steps I recall in the datastax docs we went off of……in 1.2.2, is there any setting we need to set for a bootstrapping node that we missed(our other nodes joined just fine though and seem to be working great).
The elders speak of an auto_bootstrap settings from the before time. It defaults to true, you can add it to the yaml if you want to disable it.

If I'm working on a cluster that is under stress I'll increase the phi_convict_threshold to 16 via yaml or JMX. I *think* it's not necessary in later versions but have not checked.

3.  What can I do to get this node to start streaming files again …can I just reboot the cassandra or should I start from scratch somehow?
Without Ops Centre I use this to track netstat progress

diff <(nodetool netstats) <(sleep 60 & nodetool netstats)

If you restart the bootstrapping node it will retry the bootstrapping process, you should see "Detected previous bootstrap failure; retrying" in the log.

Use auto_bootstrap to prevent this

4.  IF I need to start from scratch, I assume I a) stop the node, b) wipe commitlog and data directories, c) start the node back up.  Would that be correct?  After all, the other nodes don't seem to know about this new node according to "nodetool ring" command.
yes.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton

We are using 1.2.2 cassandra and have rolled on 3 additionals nodes to our 6 node cluster(totalling 9 so far).  We are trying to roll on node 10 but during the streaming a compaction kicked off which seemed very odd to us.  "nodetool netstats" still reported tons of files that were not transferred yet.  Is this normal that compaction might kick off during bootstrapping a new node.  Our node still says "Joining" in "nodetool netstats" as well.  The ring does not show the new node yet either.  Lastly, "nodetool netstats" reports 0% on EVERY single file and this doesn't seem to change.  The bootstrap node seems hung so a few questions

1.  Is compaction supposed to go off during a bootstrapping node?
2.  I seem to recall a bootstrap node setting in cassandra.yaml but that was not one of the steps I recall in the datastax docs we went off of……in 1.2.2, is there any setting we need to set for a bootstrapping node that we missed(our other nodes joined just fine though and seem to be working great).
3.  What can I do to get this node to start streaming files again …can I just reboot the cassandra or should I start from scratch somehow?
4.  IF I need to start from scratch, I assume I a) stop the node, b) wipe commitlog and data directories, c) start the node back up.  Would that be correct?  After all, the other nodes don't seem to know about this new node according to "nodetool ring" command.

Thanks for any help on this one,
Dean