From Mark Mccraw <>
Subject Re: Running Cassandra with no open TCP ports
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 15:04:34 GMT
Oleg:  The simple answer for why I'm using Cassandra thusly is laziness/fear of uncertainty.
 I'm using Cassandra indirectly as the back end data store for Titan(,
which is a graph interface.  Titan does let you swap out the data store, and it gives you
several "canned" choices, one of which is Cassandra.  BerkeleyDB might be a better choice
for this project (and would address this issue), but it has licensing issues, so it's out,
thus leaving me with using Cassandra or figuring out how to make Titan play with something
like Derby.  That's a project I just don't have time for or interest in.  Apache HBase is
another alternative, but that really seems like shooting a fly with an elephant gun...

Edward, I completely agree that it should be doable.  Is this something that you would advise
a simple user to tackle (i.e. does it make any sense at all for me to pull down the Cassandra
codebase and try to figure out where the relevant code lives and what to change), or is it
something the maintainers are likely to be willing to slip in as a simple feature?  If the
latter, do I just file a feature request somewhere?

Mark McCraw<>