From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: best practices on EC2 question
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 15:17:01 GMT
On May 16, 2013, at 17:05 , Brian Tarbox <tarbox@cabotresearch.com> wrote:

> An alternative that we had explored for a while was to do a two stage backup:
> 1) copy a C* snapshot from the ephemeral drive to an EBS drive
> 2) do an EBS snapshot to S3.
>
> The idea being that EBS is quite reliable, S3 is still the emergency backup and copying
back from EBS to ephemeral is likely much faster than the 15 MB/sec we get from S3.

Yup, this is what we do.  We use rsync with --bwlimit=4000 to copy the snapshots from the
eph drive to EBS; this is intentionally very low so that the backup process does not take
eat our I/O.  This is on m1.xlarge instances; YMMV so measure :).  EBS drives are then snapshot
with ec2-consistent-snapshot and then old snapshots expired using ec2-expire-snapshots (I
believe these scripts are from Alestic).

/Janne