From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject exception causes streaming to hang forever
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 22:19:45 GMT
We had 3 nodes roll on good and the next 2, we see a remote node with this exception every
time we start over and bootstrap the node

ERROR [Streaming to /10.10.42.36:2] 2013-05-22 14:47:59,404 CassandraDaemon.java (line 132)
Exception in thread Thread[Streaming to /10.10.42.36:2,5,main]
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Input/output error
        at com.google.common.base.Throwables.propagate(Throwables.java:160)
        at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:32)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Input/output error
        at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo0(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferToDirectly(FileChannelImpl.java:405)
        at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo(FileChannelImpl.java:506)
        at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.compress.CompressedFileStreamTask.stream(CompressedFileStreamTask.java:90)
        at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.FileStreamTask.runMayThrow(FileStreamTask.java:91)
        at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:28)
        ... 3 more

Are there any ideas what this is?  Google doesn't real show any useful advice on this and
our node has not joined the ring yet so I don't think we can run a repair just yet to avoid
it and try synching via another means.  It seems on a streaming failure, it never recovers
from this.  Any ideas?

We are on cassandra 1.2.2

Thanks,
Dean