From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject any way to get the #writes/second, reads per second
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 16:46:24 GMT
We running a pretty consistent load on our cluster and added a new node to a 6 node cluster
Friday(QA worked great, but production not so much).  One mistake that was made was starting
up the new node, then disabling the firewall :( which allowed nodes to discover it BEFORE
the node bootstrapped itself.  We shutdown the node and booted him up and he bootstrapped
himself streaming all the data in.

After that though, all the ndoes have really really high load numbers now.  We are trying
to figure out what is going on still.

Is there any way to get the number of reads/second and writes/second through JMX or something?
 The only way I can see of on doing this is manually calculating it by timing the read count
and dividing by my manual stop watches start/stop times(timerange).

Also, while my load is load average: 20.31, 19.10, 19.72 , what does a normal iostat look
like?  My iostat await time is 13.66 ms which I think is kind of bad, but not that bad to
cause a load of 20.31?

Device:         rrqm/s   wrqm/s     r/s     w/s   rsec/s   wsec/s avgrq-sz avgqu-sz   await
 svctm  %util
sda               0.02     0.07   11.70    1.96  1353.67   702.88   150.58     0.19   13.66
  3.61   4.93
sdb               0.00     0.02    0.11    0.46    20.72    97.54   206.70     0.00    1.33
  0.67   0.04

Thanks,
Dean