From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backup and restore between different node-sized clusters
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 23:20:47 GMT
You want to use sstableloader when the cluster sizes are different; it
will stream things to the right places in the new one.

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Ron Siemens <rsiemens@greatergood.com> wrote:

> I have a 3-node cluster in production and a single-node development cluster.  I tested
snapshotting a column family from the 3-node production cluster, grouping the files together,
and restoring onto my single node development system.  That worked fine.  Can I go the other
direction?  It's not easy for me to test in that direction: I'll get the chance at some point
but would like to hear if you've done this.

> If I just put the snapshot from the single node cluster on one of the nodes from the
3-node cluster, and do a JMX loadNewSSTables on that node, will the data load correctly into
the 3-nodes?  Or is something more complex involved?

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra