From Andrew Bialecki <andrew.biale...@gmail.com>
Subject Does replicate_on_write=true imply that CL.QUORUM for reads is unnecessary?
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 13:47:56 GMT
Quick question about counter columns. In looking at the replicate_on_write
setting, assuming you go with the default of "true", my understanding is it
writes the increment to all replicas on any increment.

If that's the case, doesn't that mean there's no point in using CL.QUORUM
for reads because all replicas have the same values?

Similarly, what effect does the read_repair_chance have on counter columns
since they should need to read repair on write.

In anticipation a possible answer, that both CL.QUORUM for reads and
read_repair_chance only end up mattering for counter deletions, it's safe
to only use CL.ONE and disable the read repair if we're never deleting
counters. (And, of course, if we did start deleting counters, we'd need to
revert those client and column family changes.)