From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hector vs Astyanax dependency issue
Date Sat, 25 May 2013 16:10:29 GMT
This is a big Java problem with Guava and logging libraries that get
included with everything. If you bundle together enough projects you are
bound to have an satisfiable breaking mismatch. The hip trend is "just use
the latest from maven"so hipsters have a canned reply, "OMG!!! YOUR
VERSIONS IS SOO OLD" , but in the real world we have to support
environments outside our laptop and we cant always be updating things every
day for no real reason, angry administrators say "WHY DOES YOUR GUAVA NEED
TO BE UPGRADED? IS THERE A BUG?" :)

So yes, while I do think Guava is a nice library, the breaking changes in
it are PITA, and the things inside it generally are things you can do
yourself. Preconditions.checkNotNull(Object) for example seems sexy but
over time you always hit an issue like this since guava gets included
everywhere. As a result I commonly end up stripping out guava in out
projects.

::Rant over::

Your only hope is to build a fork of one hector or astynax that uses the
same guava version or get both the projects to update to the same version.