From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: found the issue on bootstrap streaming hang
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 16:58:50 GMT
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:
> We then tried to mv the file and got a Input/Output Error so now we know something is
really wrong and could be a hardware issue(which is sad since this hardware is not even a
year old yet).

D'oh, knew I should have suggested underlying hardware failure.
"Input/Output Error" is almost always failed disk...

> Anyways, I hope that helps someone else out.  Bootstrapping a node does not fair well
if one of the nodes has corrupt sstables which is funny as I thought it should just read from
one of the other nodes on failure……(anyway to tell a node to bootstrap from a different
node?)

Bootstrap only ever occurs from one node/vnode per range being bootstrapped.

> Should I file a ticket on this as I think you should be able to reproduce by somehow
making a corrupt sstable file or something to see the bootstrap process hang instead of flip
to reading from another node to get the data or is that not possible(I don't have enough context
on whether this should be a ticket or not).

It would be nice if things which encounter corrupt sstables (perhaps
during streaming) had clearer exceptions regarding the failure. But I
don't believe that it is likely for bootstrap to be changed to
bootstrap from more than one node...

=Rob