From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Repair of tombstones
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 08:27:05 GMT
Because that ticket is closed I think they best way to have a conversation is to create a new
ticket to back port it to 1.1.

Given that 1.2 has been out for a while it may be a tough sell, and it depends on the complexity
of the back port. But on the other side https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4905?focusedCommentId=13493206&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13493206

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 20/05/2013, at 3:30 AM, Michael Theroux <mtheroux2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There has been a lot of discussion on the list recently concerning issues with repair,
runtime, etc.

> We recently have had issues with this cassandra bug:
>
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4905
>
> Basically, if you do regular staggered repairs, and you have tombstones that can be gc_graced,
those tombstones may never be cleaned up if those tombstones don't get compacted away before
the next repair.  This is because these tombstones are essentially recopied to other nodes
during the next repair.  This has been fixed in 1.2, however, we aren't ready to make the
jump to 1.2 yet.

> Is there a reason why this hasn't been back-ported to 1.1?  Is it a risky change? Although
not a silver bullet, it seems it may help a lot of people with repair issues (certainly seems
it would help us),