From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: How to add new DC to cluster when GossipingPropertyFileSnitch is used
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 23:48:00 GMT
You should configure the seeds as recommended regardless of the snitch used.

You need to update the yaml file to start using the GossipingPropertyFileSnitch but after
that it reads the file to get information about the node. It reads
uses the information in gossip to get information about the other nodes in the cluster.

If there is no info in gossip about a remote node, because say it has not been upgraded, it
will fall back to using

Hope that helps.
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

On 15/05/2013, at 8:10 PM, Sergey Naumov <> wrote:

> As far as I understand, GossipingPropertyFileSnitch supposed to provide more flexibility
in nodes addition/removal. But what about addition of a DC? In datastax documentation (
it is said that could be updated without restart for PropertyFileSnitch.
But here ( it it said, that
"you MUST include at least one node from EACH data center. It is a best practice to have at
more than one seed node per data center and the seed list should be the same for each node".
At the first glance it seems that PropertyFileSnitch will get necessary info from,
but for GossipingPropertyFileSnitch modification of cassandra.yaml and restart of all nodes
in all DCs will be required. Could somebody clarify this topic?
> Thanks in advance,
> Sergey Naumov.

View raw message