From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Logging Cassandra queries
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 08:34:50 GMT
>  (but still the list of classes would be helpful :) )
The source code is the most up to date list of the classes.

This is a talk I did on Cassandra Internals at Apache Con in Feb 2013, unfortunately it looks
like the videos will never be released owing to technical snafu's http://www.slideshare.net/aaronmorton/apachecon-nafeb2013

Cass 1.2 also has probabilistic logging of queries.

I'm doing a cut down version at the Cassandra SF conference in June.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 21/05/2013, at 10:28 AM, Ilya Kirnos <ilya@cardspring.com> wrote:

> sure, i think it'd be a useful feature
>

> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Tomàs Núnez <tomas.nunez@groupalia.com> wrote:
> If you're looking for logging like "get keyX with CL quorum and slice Y took n millis"

> That would be even better! Maybe should I file a ticket in Cassandra Jira for this feature?
Do you think it would be helpful?

> BTW, just "get keyX" or "set keyX" would work for me. I'll check org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraServer
as Aaron suggested (but still the list of classes would be helpful :) )

> Thanks!
>
> 2013/5/19 Ilya Kirnos <ilya@cardspring.com>
> If you're looking for logging like "get keyX with CL quorum and slice Y took n millis"
there's nothing like that from what I could find.  We had to modify c* source (CassandraServer.java)
to add this query logging to the thrift codepath.

> On May 18, 2013 3:20 PM, "Tomàs Núnez" <tomas.nunez@groupalia.com> wrote:
> Yes, I read how to do that here, as well:
> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/configuration/logging_options
>
> But I didn't know what classes to enable logging for the queries... Is there any document
with the list of classes with a bit explanation for each of them? I can't find any, and I
don't understand java enough to dive through the code....

> Thanks!
>

> 2013/5/17 aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
>> And... could I be more precise when enabling logging? Because right now, with log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,stdout,R
I'm getting a lot of information I won't use ever, and I'd like to enable just what I need
to see gets and seds….

https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/conf/log4j-server.properties

> You probably want to set it for the org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraServer class.
But I cannot remember what the logging is like in 0.8.

> Cassandra gets faster in the later versions, which normally means doing less work. Upgrading
to 1.1 would be the first step I would take in improving performance.

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 18/05/2013, at 4:00 AM, Tomàs Núnez <tomas.nunez@groupalia.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> For quite time I've been having some unexpected loadavg in the cassandra servers.
I suspect there are lots of uncontrolled queries to the cassandra servers causing this load,
but the developers say that there are none, and the load is due to cassandra internal processes.

>> Trying to get to the bottom, I've been looking into completed ReadStage and MutationStage
through JMX, and the numbers seem to confirm my theory, but I'd like to go one step forward
and, if possible, list all the queries from the webservers to the cassandra cluster (just
one node would be enough).

>> I've been playing with cassandra loglevels, and I can see when a Read or a Write
is done, but it would be better if I could knew the CF of the query. For my tests I've put
the in the log4j.server " log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,stdout,R", writing and reading a test CF,
and I can't see the name of it anywhere.

>> For the test I'm using Cassandra 0.8.4 (yes, still), as my production servers, and
also 1.0.11. Maybe this changes in 1.1? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Any hint?