From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Backup and restore between different node-sized clusters
Date Thu, 09 May 2013 22:48:38 GMT
Special case if you have 3 nodes and RF 3 you can copy the files to each node and use nodetool
refresh.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 9/05/2013, at 11:20 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> You want to use sstableloader when the cluster sizes are different; it
> will stream things to the right places in the new one.
>
> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Ron Siemens <rsiemens@greatergood.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a 3-node cluster in production and a single-node development cluster.  I tested
snapshotting a column family from the 3-node production cluster, grouping the files together,
and restoring onto my single node development system.  That worked fine.  Can I go the other
direction?  It's not easy for me to test in that direction: I'll get the chance at some point
but would like to hear if you've done this.

>> If I just put the snapshot from the single node cluster on one of the nodes from
the 3-node cluster, and do a JMX loadNewSSTables on that node, will the data load correctly
into the 3-nodes?  Or is something more complex involved?