From Arthur Zubarev <>
Subject Re: Unable to start Cassandra
Date Mon, 20 May 2013 20:15:05 GMT
Hi Faraaz,
      yes, this time C* doesn't start due to inability to log I assume.
      I get ii  cassandra  1.2.5 out of the 1st statement, the 2nd gave

There are no files in /etc/cassandra

---- Original Message ----
From: Faraaz Sareshwala <>
To: user <>
Sent: Mon, May 20, 2013 3:09 pm
Subject: Re: Unable to start Cassandra

The logs don't seem to be talking about memory issues -- it can't find the log4j
settings file in the correct location under where the CASSANDRA_HOME environment
variable points to.

I have packaged cassandra myself so I'm not entirely familiar with the
pre-packaged installations. Try doing the following (assuming a debian system
because you mentioned ubuntu):

dpkg -l | grep cassandra # then find the package you want to look into
dpkg -L cassandra_package | grep log4j

One of them should have the log4j configuration in it, I presume?

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 09:17:11AM -0700, Arthur Zubarev wrote:
> Hello All:
> I had Cassandra 1.2.4 running up until yesterday, then after I took an Ubuntu
> update (may be related or may not), I suddenly wasn't able to connect any
> The error was related to lack of memory and suggested a modification to its
> config, I kept increasing the memory (I have 8 Gb), but Cassandra would not
> start.
> I read a post that it might be OpenJava related and I added Oracle Java
> 1.7.0_21, made it default, but the issue persisted.
> I have then decided to remove the Cassandra community package and get the
> DataStax one. Alas, it failed to install citing unmet dependency 1.2.4 C*
> package. I could not figure how I get it since the only valid option was
> I thus opted to re-get the one from Apache, made it installed no problem, but
> to my dismay C* would NOT start!
> I can see the error when running sudo cassandra -f is
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't figure out log4j
>     at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.initLog4j
> (
>     at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.<clinit>
> (
> The posts I found tell me to modify the file.
> But it is not present on my machine, in fact the directory
> /etc/cassandra is empty.
> I am out of ideas. What is wrong?
> Regards,
> Arthur