From Arthur Zubarev <arthur.zuba...@aol.com>
Subject Unable to start Cassandra
Date Mon, 20 May 2013 16:17:11 GMT

Hello All:

    I had Cassandra 1.2.4 running up until yesterday, then after I took    an Ubuntu update
(may be related or may not), I suddenly wasn't able    to connect any more.

    The error was related to lack of memory and suggested a modification    to its config,
I kept increasing the memory (I have 8 Gb), but    Cassandra would not start.
    I read a post that it might be OpenJava related and I added Oracle    Java 1.7.0_21, made
it default, but the issue persisted.

    I have then decided to remove the Cassandra community package and    get the DataStax
one. Alas, it failed to install citing unmet    dependency 1.2.4 C* package. I could not figure
how I get it since    the only valid option was deb12.

    I thus opted to re-get the one from Apache, made it installed no    problem, but to my
dismay C* would NOT start!

    I can see the error when running sudo cassandra          -f is

          Exception in thread "main"          java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
          Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't figure out          log4j configuration:
log4j-server.properties
              atorg.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.initLog4j(CassandraDaemon.java:82)
              atorg.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.<clinit>(CassandraDaemon.java:58)

          The posts I found tell me to modify            the log4j-server.properties file.
            But it is not present on my machine, in fact the directory
    /etc/cassandra is empty.

    I am out of ideas. What is wrong?

    Regards,

    Arthur