From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: how to monitor nodetool cleanup?
Date Thu, 09 May 2013 22:46:06 GMT
nodetool setcompactionthroughput controls the speed of compaction, and cleanup runs in the
compaction manager.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 8/05/2013, at 8:59 AM, Michael Morris <michael.m.morris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure about making things go faster, but you should be able to monitor it with nodetool
compactionstats.

> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Brian Tarbox <tarbox@cabotresearch.com> wrote:
> I'm recovering from a significant failure and so am doing lots of nodetool move, removetoken,
repair and cleanup.

> For most of these I can do "nodetool netstats" to monitor progress but it doesn't show
anything for cleanup...how can I monitor the progress of cleanup?  On a related note: I'm
able to stop all client access to the cluster until things are happy again...is there anything
I can do to make move/repair/cleanup go faster?

> FWIW my problems came from trying to move nodes between EC2 availability zones...which
led to
> 1) killing a node and recreating it in another availability zone
> 2) new node had different local ip address so cluster thought old node was just down
and we had a new node...

> I did the removetoken on the dead node and gave the new node oldToken-1...but things
still got weird and I ended up spending a couple of days cleaning up (which seems odd for
only about 300 gig total data).