From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: C language - cassandra
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 22:40:06 GMT
On 2013-05-17 16:42, Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis wrote:
> Hello, new here, What are my options in using cassandra from a program
> written in c?
>
> A)
> Thrift has no documentation, so it will take me time to understand.
> Thrift also doesnt have a balancing pool, asking different nodes every
> time, which is a big problem.

Thrift has a sort of documentation. Check interface/cassandra.thrift in
cassandra's source files. The file contains quite thorough comments for
each method and data structure. Once you've read this file, it is quite
easy to browse through the Cassandra.h and cassandra_types.h that are
generated from cassandra.thrift by the thrift compiler.

Sending requests is quite straightforward. Setting up a connection is
more verbose and, imo, relatively complex.

About pools, you're right. I guess you'll have to write your own.

> B)
> Should I use the hector (java) client and then send the data to my
> program with my own protocol?
> Seems a lot of unnecessary work.
>
> Any other suggestions?

I would go for thrift. After digging one or two days you'll have it working.

Sorin