From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: C++ Thrift client
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 22:29:02 GMT
On 2013-05-16 02:58, Bill Hastings wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am doing very small inserts into Cassandra in the range of say 64
> bytes. I use a C++ Thrift client and seem consistently get latencies
> anywhere between 35-45 ms. Could some one please advise as to what
> might be happening?

Sniff the network traffic in order to check whether you use the same
connection or you open a new connection for each new insert.

Also check if the client does a set_keyspace (or "use keyspace") before
every insert. That would be wasteful too.

In the worst case, the client would perform an authentication too.

Inspect timestamps of the network packets in the capture file in order
to determine which part takes too long: the connection phase? The
authentication? The interval between sending the request and getting the
response?

I do something similar (C++ Thrift, small inserts of roughly the same
size as you) and I get response times of 100ms for the first request
when opening the connection, authentifying, and setting the keyspace.
But subsequent requests on the same connection have response times in
the range of 8-11ms.

Sorin