From Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Subject Re: Announcing Mutagen
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 06:06:59 GMT
On 5/16/13 10:22 PM, Todd Fast wrote:
> Mutagen Cassandra is a framework providing schema versioning and
> mutation for Apache Cassandra. It is similar to Flyway for SQL databases.
>
> https://github.com/toddfast/mutagen-cassandra
>
> Mutagen is a lightweight framework for applying versioned changes (known
> as mutations) to a resource, in this case a Cassandra schema. Mutagen
> takes into account the resource's existing state and only applies
> changes that haven't yet been applied.

Hi Todd,

Looking at your code and you have the ColumnPrefixDistributedRowLock
commented out.  Could it be that the mutation is taking longer than a
second to run?  Are they only happening during testing simultaneous
updates?  Maybe they aren't being cleaned up?

Funny timing, I'm working on porting Scala Migrations [1] to Cassandra
and have a working implementation.  It's not as fancy as Scala
Migrations (it doesn't scan a package for migration subclasses and it
currently doesn't do rollbacks) but it gets the basics done.  Hoping to
release code in the near future.

Differences from Mutagen:

1) Mutations are written only in Scala.
2) Since its a new project, it uses a Java Driver session instead of a
Astyanax connection since I only intend to use CQL3 tables.

Blair

[1] http://code.google.com/p/scala-migrations/