From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassanrda 1.1.11 compression: how to tell if it works ?
Date Thu, 09 May 2013 22:38:13 GMT
> At what point does compression start ?
It starts for new SSTables created after the schema was altered.

> How can I confirm it is working ?
Compressed SSTables include a -CompressionInfo.db component on disk.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 8/05/2013, at 6:35 AM, Oleg Dulin <oleg.dulin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a column family with really wide rows set to use Snappy like this:
>
> compression_options = {'sstable_compression' : 'org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.SnappyCompressor'}

> My understanding is that if a file is compressed I should not be able to use "strings"
command to view its contents. But it seems like I can view the contents like this: