From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Logging Cassandra queries
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 18:50:44 GMT
> And... could I be more precise when enabling logging? Because right now, with log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,stdout,R
I'm getting a lot of information I won't use ever, and I'd like to enable just what I need
to see gets and seds….

see the example at the bottom of this file about setting the log level for a single class
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/conf/log4j-server.properties

You probably want to set it for the org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraServer class. But
I cannot remember what the logging is like in 0.8.

Cassandra gets faster in the later versions, which normally means doing less work. Upgrading
to 1.1 would be the first step I would take in improving performance.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 18/05/2013, at 4:00 AM, Tomàs Núnez <tomas.nunez@groupalia.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> For quite time I've been having some unexpected loadavg in the cassandra servers. I suspect
there are lots of uncontrolled queries to the cassandra servers causing this load, but the
developers say that there are none, and the load is due to cassandra internal processes.

> Trying to get to the bottom, I've been looking into completed ReadStage and MutationStage
through JMX, and the numbers seem to confirm my theory, but I'd like to go one step forward
and, if possible, list all the queries from the webservers to the cassandra cluster (just
one node would be enough).

> I've been playing with cassandra loglevels, and I can see when a Read or a Write is done,
but it would be better if I could knew the CF of the query. For my tests I've put the in the
log4j.server " log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,stdout,R", writing and reading a test CF, and I can't
see the name of it anywhere.

> For the test I'm using Cassandra 0.8.4 (yes, still), as my production servers, and also
1.0.11. Maybe this changes in 1.1? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Any hint?