From Wei Zhu <wz1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: any way to get the #writes/second, reads per second
Date Tue, 14 May 2013 16:06:25 GMT
We have a long running script which wakes up every minute to get reads/writes through JMX.
It does the calculation to get r/s and w/s and send them to ganglia. We are thinking of using
graphite which comes with some sort of intelligence mentioned by Tomàs, but it's just too
big of a change for our infrastructure.

-Wei

----- Original Message -----

From: "Dean Hiller" <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:37:14 AM
Subject: Re: any way to get the #writes/second, reads per second

Cool, thanks,
Dean

From: Tomàs Núnez <tomas.nunez@groupalia.com<mailto:tomas.nunez@groupalia.com>>

Date: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:53 AM
To: user <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>

Yes, there isn't any place in the JMX with reads/second or writes/second, just CompletedTasks.
I send this info to Graphite (http://graphite.wikidot.com/) and use the "derivative" function
to get reads/minute. Munin also does the trick (https://github.com/tcurdt/jmx2munin). But
you can't do that with cassandra itself, you need somewhere to make the calculations (cacti
is also a good match).

Hope that helps. There is some more information about monitoring this kind of things here:
http://www.tomas.cat/blog/en/monitoring-cassandra-relevant-data-should-be-watched-and-how-send-it-graphite