From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: SSTables not opened on new cluste
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 18:25:17 GMT
> When I created the schema, the KS were created as directory in the .../data/ directory
Can you provide the logs from start up ?

> I just noticed that when the new cluster nodes start up, auto_bootstrap is set to true.
Given that it's no longer in the YAML file, I didn't set it to false; would that explain it
?
That will not cause any problems.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 1/05/2013, at 9:08 AM, Philippe <watcherfr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
> thanks for the response.
>
> Permissions are correct : owner is cassandra (ubuntu) and permissions are drwxr-xr-x
>
> When I created the schema, the KS were created as directory in the .../data/ directory
> When I use cassandra-cli, set the CL to QUORUM, ensure two instances are up (nodetool
ring) and set a bogus column, I get an Unavailable exception which is weird.

> I just noticed that when the new cluster nodes start up, auto_bootstrap is set to true.
Given that it's no longer in the YAML file, I didn't set it to false; would that explain it
?

> Once I removed it and set logging to TRACE, I get these relevant log lines
>
> SliceQueryFilter.java (line 123) collecting 1 of 2147483647: XXX:5123@1367333147034
> a bunch of Schema.java (line 382) Adding org.apache.cassandra.config.CFMetaData@45f8acdc[cfId=1009,ksName=XXX,cfName=YYY...
> Removing compacted SSTable files from XXX
> No bootstrapping, leaving or moving nodes -> empty pending ranges for XXX (my KS)
> Table.java (line 317) Initializing XXX.YYY (KS and CF)
>
> Any ideas ?
>

> 2013/4/30 aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
> Double check the file permissions ?
>
> Write some data (using cqlsh or cassandra-cli) and flush to make sure the new files are
created where you expect them to be.

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 1/05/2013, at 4:15 AM, Philippe <watcherfr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to bring up a copy of an existing 3-node cluster running 1.0.8 into a
3-node cluster running 1.0.11.
> > The new cluster has been configured to have the same tokens and the same partitioner.
> >
> > Initially, I copied the files in the data directory of each node into their corresponding
node on the new cluster. When starting the new cluster, it didn't pick up the KS & CF.
> > So I remove the directories, created the schema, stopped cassandra and copied the
data back. None of the SSTables are opened at startup.

> > When I nodetool refresh them, it says "No new SSTables where found for  XXX/YYY"
where X is my KS and Y is my CF

> > I'm totally stumped: any ideas as to why this is happening ? I've checked that there
are actual files there and that the permissions are correct.