From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: bootstrapping a new node...
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 22:36:39 GMT
> 1.  Is compaction supposed to go off during a bootstrapping node?
When a new file is received during streaming it is added to the list of SSTables for the CF
through the same process as a SSTable flush. Once the SStable count gets high enough compaction
will do it's thing.

> 2.  I seem to recall a bootstrap node setting in cassandra.yaml but that was not one
of the steps I recall in the datastax docs we went off of……in 1.2.2, is there any setting
we need to set for a bootstrapping node that we missed(our other nodes joined just fine though
and seem to be working great).
The elders speak of an auto_bootstrap settings from the before time. It defaults to true,
you can add it to the yaml if you want to disable it.

If I'm working on a cluster that is under stress I'll increase the phi_convict_threshold to
16 via yaml or JMX. I *think* it's not necessary in later versions but have not checked.

> 3.  What can I do to get this node to start streaming files again …can I just reboot
the cassandra or should I start from scratch somehow?

Without Ops Centre I use this to track netstat progress

diff <(nodetool netstats) <(sleep 60 & nodetool netstats)

If you restart the bootstrapping node it will retry the bootstrapping process, you should
see "Detected previous bootstrap failure; retrying" in the log.

Use auto_bootstrap to prevent this

> 4.  IF I need to start from scratch, I assume I a) stop the node, b) wipe commitlog and
data directories, c) start the node back up.  Would that be correct?  After all, the other
nodes don't seem to know about this new node according to "nodetool ring" command.
yes.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 22/05/2013, at 2:23 AM, "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:

> We are using 1.2.2 cassandra and have rolled on 3 additionals nodes to our 6 node cluster(totalling
9 so far).  We are trying to roll on node 10 but during the streaming a compaction kicked
off which seemed very odd to us.  "nodetool netstats" still reported tons of files that were
not transferred yet.  Is this normal that compaction might kick off during bootstrapping a
new node.  Our node still says "Joining" in "nodetool netstats" as well.  The ring does not
show the new node yet either.  Lastly, "nodetool netstats" reports 0% on EVERY single file
and this doesn't seem to change.  The bootstrap node seems hung so a few questions