Hi cem <cayiroglu@gmail.com>,

In your previous reply, you mentioned that you have a simple solution.
Can you share with us :)

Thanks in advance.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:
It should be easy to control the number of map tasks. http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowManyMapsAndReduces. It standard HDFS you might run into a directory with 10,000 small files and you do not want 10,000 map tasks. This is what the CombinedInputFormat's do, they help you control the number of map tasks a job will generate. For example, imagine i have a multi-tenant cluster. If a job kicks up 10,000 map tasks, all those tasks can starve out other jobs. Being able to say "I only want 4 map tasks per c* node regardless of the number of vnodes" would be a meaningful and useful feature.